Saturday, June 2, 2012

Dinner for one (White Bean and Bacon Soup)

I love creamy soups, like the creamy potato and bacon soup my brother-law makes or the white bean and chorizo soup at the Common Ground Cafe in Rondebsoch. But I don't really like to cook with cream if I can help it. It  makes the food so moreish that I never stop eating and end up looking like that child in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. No, not the fat boy - the one who gets blown up like a balloon. That's also the only reason I don't have a chocolate river flowing through my flat.

The Photographer is currently away - somewhere in Namibia taking photos of wild horses and quiver trees. So I wanted to make something quick, easy, nutritious and preferably only enough for one. This also explains the lack of photos. (The only camera I have in the house is the one on my mobile phone and I have to press the button so hard that the picture is always fuzzy.)  But this recipe is really so good that I didn't want to wait to share it.

Ingredients  (serves one)


1 can butter, cannellini or other white beans

1 small or half a medium/large onion, chopped finely
1 tsp thyme
1 cube/tsp chicken stock powder
2 rashers bacon, pancetta or similar
White pepper
A splash of olive oil
Approx half a cup of water

Heat a small pot over high heat. Add the bacon and fry until crispy. Place on a paper towel to drain the excess fat. Chop once cool.


Use the same pan to fry the onions - if there is a lot of fat in the pan you may want to wipe some away with a paper towel. If there is very little, add some olive oil.


Return the pan to medium heat. Add the onions.Sauté until see-through.


Meanwhile, drain the beans well. Once the onions are see-through add the beans, thyme, chicken stock and enough water to cover the beans. Don't add anymore at this stage otherwise your soup may end up too thin. Cover and bring to the boil.


Once it has boiled switch off the plate and take off the heat. Add a pinch of white pepper.


Blend until smooth (I like to use a handheld immersion blender so it can be done directly in the pot).


At this stage you can decide on how thick you want your soup...add more water until you reach the desired consistency and add stock to taste.

Serve in bowl topped with chopped bacon and a side of crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment